Hi all- forty walkers met up at the Pembroke Commons car park for an enjoyable and leisurely, approx. three mile walk, today around Pembroke Town. The initial, slightly misty conditions slowly cleared and as the walk progressed brighter conditions were breaking through by the Holyland reserve and we arrived at Browns in bright sunshine. The route took the walkers around the South Quay pond with fine views of the 12th Century Pembroke Castle. After circling the castle walls past Wogan’s cave the route progressed along the moat side towards the 13th/14th Century Barnard’s Tower which used to house a garrison of defending troops to protect the vulnerable East side of Pembroke but is now home to a roost of bats. A sweetie break was taken at this point!
Following the path up beside the railway embankment connecting Pembroke and Pembroke Dock and built in 1864 allowed us to join the “short cut” Pembroke bypass lane. After a short road section the group safely traversed the Holyland Nature Reserve to return via the main road back into Pembroke Town. Lunch was taken at Brown’s Fish and Chip Bar which was enjoyed by 25 or so of the walkers.
A vote of thanks was made by Wendy Proctor to the walk leader Colin Hankinson who was slowly recovering by clearing his plate of fish and chips !!. Attach a few photos for you:-