Gwaun Valley Walk 9th July ’12

Welcome to Pembrokeshire U3A Forums U3A Walkers Gwaun Valley Walk 9th July ’12

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

UPDATE
    Hi all-I have received an e-mail from David and Pat Jones with reference their walk on Monday 9th July in the Gwaun Valley.
    They have done a further evaluation of the walk, see below, and looks, a within reason, adabtable walk for different preferences and with the forecast “good” looks a real treat.
    The START location, which I found a bit of a problem locating,  is the Sychpant picnic site which is marked with an arrow on the attached OS map.
    The turn off to Pontfaen  is approx 4 miles from Fishguard, if you are going that way, and you cross the river at Pontfaen, see below, and keeping the river on your right hand side proceed to the picnic site which is a further 2.5 miles.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    e-mail from David Jones

You need to make for Pontfaen whether you go via Fishguard or New Inn (on the Cardigan road – signposted Puncheston). Brian believes the latter is preferable and in the light of Wednesday's experience I am inclined to agree.

When you arrive at Pontfaen you need to cross the river. The picnic site is the Sychpant site some distance up-river of Pontfaen past Bessie's pub (leave to your left) and the Primary School. Next door is the Christian retreat at Ffald y Brenin and this features on the http://www.pcnpa.org.uk/ website circular walks map (Cwm Gwaun) to which I would be inclined to refer our prospective walkers (and probably on your OS map).

Pat and I, with Brian's considerable assistance, rec'ed the walk yesterday and concluded that despite the wet conditions underfoot we can proceed with the plan. The walk will now be a level (my definition!) 50/50 quiet minor road and woodland mix.

Our only concern was to communicate to as many as possible the fact that they should not “lose the faith” after Pontfaen on their way to the meeting point. They must proceed past Betty's pub (leaving it to their left) and the Primary School before reaching the Sychpant Picnic Site. I will attempt to act as a “point duty” policeman at Pontfaen from say 09.15hrs.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.