Welcome to Pembrokeshire U3A › Forums › General Chatty Stuff & How to live with Coronavirus! › Chance to explore the Heart of Wales Line
- This topic is empty.
January 31, 2016 at 6:26 pm #8779Anonymous
Pembrokeshire U3A: CHANCE TO EXPLORE THE HEART OF WALES LINE
We travel from Pembrokeshire to Swansea and then board the “Heart of Wales” train to Shrewsbury. Arrive in Shrewsbury by lunch time. We have the rest of the day in Shrewsbury, and there are two options for the 2nd day (see below). The option taking a train from Pembroke Dock via Narberth is fine going, but much less convenient for the return journey I’m afraid. See the times below. Premier Inn is not willing to entertain a group discount, unless we want to take the whole place over!
1. Date selected Depart Tuesday 23rd February 2016 (return Wednesday 24th February)
2. Catch the 07.05 leaving Milford (07.05) via Haverfordwest (07.20)
or Pembroke Dock (06.59) via Narberth (07.47) ******Problem with return journey – see below
3. 09.33 Heart of Wales train leaves Swansea to arrive in Shrewsbury 13.32
4. Check in to Premier Inn Premier Inn, 3-star hotel In Shrewsbury town centre, this modern budget hotel lies near shops and cafes, a 4-minute walk from Shrewsbury's red sandstone castle. 0.3 of a mile from the Railway station, Smithfield Road, Smithfield Rd, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY1 1PG Phone: 0871 527 9402.
5. Those who wish can gather together for an evening meal (To be arranged)
6. NEXT DAY: Catch the 10.09 Heart of Wales train to Swansea OR spend the morning in Shrewsbury and catch the 14.05 Swansea train to arrive Swansea 18.18.
7. Those catching the early train can choose a station on the return journey to stop off at:
Knighton for the Offas Dyke Centre;
Victorian Llandrindod Wells;
Llanwrtyd Wells, the smallest town in Wales
or any of the 29 stations as we wind our way through Mid-Wales.
8. You will have about 4 hours till the next train to explore. However after 4 hours catch the train getting to Swansea at 18.18
9. Connection from Swansea 18.41 gets back to Milford by 20.32 Via Haverfordwest (20.08).
*****Unfortunately the connection to Narberth and Pembroke Dock is not so convenient. Leaving Swansea at 20:11 getting in to Narberth 21:34 & Pembroke Dock at 22.26
ESTIMATED COST & ACCOMMODATION
1: Rail Fare: £24.00 (Club)
2: Premier Inn: Party booking not available & would be complicated as some might wish to ‘take a chance’ on the ‘Saver Option’ while others might prefer one of the ‘Flex’ options. SEE their website – CLICK HERE
SHREWSBURY 10.09 14.05
CRAVEN ARMS 10.37 14.34
HOPTON HEATH 10.47 14.44
KNIGHTON 11.01 14.58
LLANGYNLLO 11.15 15.11
DOLAU 11.26 15.22
LLANDRINDOD 12.00 15.41
CILMERI 12.13 15.54
LLANGAMMARCH 12.22 16.03
SUGAR LOAF 12.17 16.29
LLANDOVERY 12.56 16.48
LLANGADOG 13.06 16.58
FAIRFACH 13.20 17.02
AMMANFORD 13.32 17.24
PONTARDDULAIS 13.42 17.34
BYNEA 13.50 17.42
SWANSEA 14.25 18.18
Current Members interested (20)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.