Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)

Welcome to Pembrokeshire U3A Forums Health and Well-being! Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I thought it might be useful to put this information in the newsletter and email. I’ve been for a check and would recommend it to any man. My father died from an AAA so I am aware of this danger.
    14.%20Abdomal%20aneurysm(A).jpg
    1. aorta
    2. heart
    3. aortic aneurysm
    4. aorta leading away from the heart
    5. kidney

The aorta is the main blood vessel that supplies blood to the body. If it becomes weak and stretches it can rupture. If it does your chances of getting to hospital and surviving surgery are very poor.

Men are six times more likely to have an AAA than women. As men reach their 65th Birthday they are invited by NHS Wales to attend screening. However if you were already 65 when the programme started in 2013 you won’t receive an invitation but you are eligible and can simply phone for an appointment.

You are only screened once in a centre local to you. If you are OK (as 95% are) it’s very unlikely you will have a problem in the future. There is a monthly screening day in the Health Centre in Winch Lane, Haverfordwest. It’s an ultrasound scan (the one that pregnant women have to see the baby) and takes no more than 15 minutes. Here’s a link to the programme:

http://www.aaascreening.wales.nhs.uk/
    or just phone 01792 45 31 62 for an appointment. They will mail information to you along with confirmation of your appointment.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.